Monday, January 11, 2010

Booze, Boots & Bread

Final full day in Amsterdam. We had a lecture cancelled this morning so we had free time until 1:30. I headed to the Anne Frank house with Wes, Kelly, Stef and Melanie. It’s only about a 10 minute walk from our hotel. I finally fell on my ass today. But given the fact that I’ve slipped on the ice/snow/slush combo about 80 times, I’d say that’s a pretty good percentage.

Although all of the furnishings have been removed from the house and the annex, the original stairs up to the annex and even the wall paper and photos in Anne Frank’s room are still completely intact. The walls of the house are covered with quotes from Anne’s diary, artifacts from the house, and video commentaries from Miep Gies and Otto Frank. Going through the bookcase entrance up to the secret annex was such a surreal experience. My heart was pounding and my legs were shaking the entire time I was in the house.

Needless to say it was an emotional experience, but by far my favorite stop on the trip thus far. I have plans to visit Auschwitz eventually so we’ll see…

Caitlin had texted me while I was at the Anne Frank house and said that she, Scuba, Paulie, and Amanda had landed in Amsterdam and had free time until 2, so we made plans to meet. The four of them are starting their 2-week seminar for the SU Madrid Program that also stops in Toulouse, Paris, Heidelberg, Barcelona and a few other cities. I waited outside of their hotel until I heard a high-pitched “Katieeeeeeeeeee!” from Amanda from down the street. It was an epic OL, huggie bear embrace.

We headed to a soup and sandwich café for lunch appropriately called “The Soupkitchen.” I was so excited to see them. It was definitely the energy boost I needed. OL lovin’ <3

We had a short review session back at the hotel before we walked to the University of Amsterdam for a lecture on immigration policies in Holland. It was semi-interesting I guess? It’s hard to really get into this seminar because I’m not really a fan of the immigration/national identity them. Also, both of the professors and essentially all of the lectures have been so completely one-sided (liberal) that it just makes me cringe. I know it’s only a matter of time before I snap.

We had a 30 minute walk to a Moroccan mosque across the city. It was cool to see it because I’ve never seen a mosque before. One of the women of the mosque gave us a tour. It was interesting to me though that when one of the students in our group asked her if she considered herself to be Moroccan or Dutch, she said Moroccan, even though she was born in Holland. It really bothered me.

Sue, Kelly and I did a little bit of shopping—I bought a pair of boots, which will somehow magically fit into my suitcase. We went to the supermarket where I made a pretty creative meal out of baguette, raspberries, cheese squares, Bacardi breeze, and TicTacs.

Going out with Sue, Kelly and Lex to meet the Madrid kids again tonight! Cologne tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHA, you fell down. highlight of my day when i read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baller
    ...you never cease to amaze me!!!...keep enjoying yourself and having amazing experiences even if they are emotional and challenging...<3 you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha nice! I think your percentages for falling have definitely improved, Congrats! Remember freshman year of high school? LOL. Still sounds like an amazing experience. I can't imagine what you were feeling at the Anne Frank house.

    ReplyDelete