Monday, April 19, 2010

Getting saucy in Strassy, one more time.

So…I’ve been MIA for a while, but for good reason. I’ve been living it up here my last few weeks here abroad. I’ve been trying to write a post for a while now, but really didn’t know what to say. It’s probably the biggest problem I’ve had since being here—trying to explain how amazing this semester has been to everyone back home, because honestly it’s just indescribable. But in summary, since my last post a bajillion years ago, I spent Easter in Marseille, a weekend in Barcelona and had one last program trip to Heidelberg, Germany. Pics on FB if you’re interested.

I was actually supposed to be in Paris this weekend to see my sister and Molloy…but thanks some volcano in Iceland all planes into CDG were grounded so they couldn’t come. I was going to go ahead and go to Paris anyway, but for some reason I felt like I’d have more fun in Strasbourg. I don’t regret my decision at all. Since we have finals next weekend, this was our last “real” weekend in Strasbourg. I couldn’t imagine it being any better.

Yesterday I spent the day with Lex and Brittany playing tourist in our own city. It was the nicest day yet in Strasbourg, so we put on our shorts, flippy floppies and sunglasses and headed for the Cathedral.

At Orientation our first day in Strasbourg, SU put together a folder full of maps, tour books and small pamphlets of things to do in Strasbourg. Yesterday,10 days before I leave Strasbourg, was the first day I looked at them. It had been bothering me for a while because I knew I’d become too comfortable because Strasbourg had become home. I’d gotten to a point where I felt like I knew the cities I’d spent a day or two in travelling better than Strasbourg where I’d spent 4 months living, working and studying.

Regardless, I decided that Sunday was the day I’d dedicate entirely to Strasbourg. We paid our 2.40 euro to climb to the platform halfway up the Notre Dame Cathedral. This was the first monument we’d climbed where at the top we could point to everything in the city—the European Parliament, Place République, the Strasbourg Center, my house, Francesca’s. It was a cool feeling. I remember the first weekend I spent in Strasbourg—lost and confused…not even knowing where the tram stop was to get from the SU Center into the city. That first Sunday Nou Nou brought Sue and I to the Cathedral and told us all about the history of Strasbourg. She told us to wait to climb it until the end of the semester so it would mean something. She was right.

We treated ourselves to some gelato at one of the cafés beside the Cathedral…first in a bowl and then another round in a cone to go. Continuing our day of “getting to know Strasbourg” we headed down to the river for our boat tour of the city.

It was a perfect day and a perfect weekend in every way possible. It made up for all the weeks I’d been kicking myself for not getting out and really exploring the city. Still, it didn’t make us any less okay with the fact that we’re leaving in a week and a half.

I’ve got my last two days working at the Council this week, our goodbye dinner as a group Friday night and then finals before leaving next Thursday morning. We’re all getting to that point where we get all nostalgic about the semester and talk about not wanting to leave and reminisce about everything we’ve done in the past 4 months.
So, here’s to one more week of morning walks to the Center, Arrabiatta penne at Francesca’s, tarte flambée, macaroon runs to Patrick’s, mid-day wine breaks, exaggerated French accents, “cou cou c’est moi” and “Oh mon dieu” moments. One more week with Nou Nou. One more week with Marxy and Kjelly. One more week with all of my seals. One more week of the most incredible 4 months of my life.

1 comment: