Saturday, February 6, 2010

One month

So Thursday marked the one month anniversary of being abroad. Granted, I've only been in Strasbourg for 3 weeks but honestly, I feel like I've been here for months. I feel at home.

It was weird because we were all talking about this earlier this week. We'd had the 4th circled in all of our planners and I remember flipping past it a few weeks ago when we were planning out all of our trips this semester.

At least once a day someone says, "I can't believe we've been here this long already." Sometimes it bothers me, but part of me knows that the second I lose consciousness of this and forget about it, I know time will start passing a whole lot faster. I'm never going to stop my countdown until April 29th or forget about time passing because the moment you do and you become comfortable and just start coasting along, you lose everything.

Last night it hit me especially hard. Lex, Mika, Kelly, Sue and I went out and met up with a couple other people for an INCREDIBLE NIGHT. Definitely my favorite of the trip...I'll save the details and embarrasing stories. Singing Aicha by Khaled and drinking water out of a bathroom sink pretty much sums it up.

Anyway, I just remember walking home with them and stopping at a bridge in Petite France and saying "Guys, we're going to remember this for the rest of our lives. Don't ever forget this moment." I then proceeded to stop at every bridge, bench, or picturesque spot on the 45 minute walk home and repeated the same thing. Walking back the house with Sue, I remember standing outside the front door and staring up at the cloudless, starry sky and just completely savoring it. I don't think I've ever been more genuinely happy than I was last night.

2 comments:

  1. Ladies and Gentleman,
    The glory of Study Abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BALLER you are amazing and I am so glad your not forgetting how epic it is to be aboard, and yes you will remember this for the rest of your life...good thing you are actively saying it over and over again LOL...miss you
    fellow blog baller,
    EMur

    ReplyDelete